Update on open enzyme collection open vent

dear fellows in reclone
i like to share with you some success in the open vent enzyme from the open enzyme collection

we managed to express the enzyme from plasmids sent from dr. jenny’s lab and work on it with few modifications to enhance purification and stability.

it showed great results and was stable in room temperature for 4 months and still functioning well with long target dna (2.5 kb).

we compared it stability with more than a dozen commercial PFUs and Taqs and it showed significantly higher durability, and last week our freezer stopped working with the enzyme in it, its temp. reached 35 c for 3 days and still the open vent is working well while other materials and enzymes unfortunately were damaged, ALAS!

wish me well, i’m near to defending my PhD in biotechnology and genetic engineering, and non of this would have been possible without the generous help of dr.jenny and her team.

2 Likes

Congrats for the inspiring success!!

1 Like

Hi @joseph_shenekji

That’s fantastic news that you were able to enhance the stability of OpenVent and that it is still functioning so well! Congratulations on the hard work on this!
Please do share more with us the specifics of the changes when you get a chance :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear the freezer problem and loss of the other enzymes and reagents, but also a very pleasant surprise to hera that the OpenVent variant was still working well after being at such elevated temperatures! D:

In any case, good luck and all the best with your PhD! Do let us know how it all goes - you’ve got this! :+1:

1 Like

thank you dr. yan kay for your encouragement
i will share them in an article very soon hopefully

best regards always